Romazava: Malagasy Beef and Greens Stew
“This stew is a very versatile dish, because you can make it with different kinds of meat, like chicken or pork. Some recipes even feature a combination of meats.”
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, small dice
¾ cup celery, large dice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups beef broth
1 cup water
1 (14-oz) can diced tomatoes
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper
8 cups leafy greens (collard, mustard greens, kale, or a combination)
2-3 cups cooked rice for serving
INSTRUCTIONS (for fresh pears):
1. In medium pan, sauté the beef and onions in olive oil until the meat is browned.
2. Add the celery, garlic, broth, water, tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add water if needed to cover the meat. Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add the leafy greens to the saucepan, cover and remove from heat. Serve with steamed rice in heated bowls.
Recipe and quote from The Healthy Teen Cookbook, by Remmi Smith
Madagascar 2020 - Recipes
- Romazava: Malagasy Beef and Greens Stew