The RPCVs of Madison know that the future of Peace Corps is at the will of the President (reporting), Congress (budgeting), and the people of America (support). Did you know that an amazing number of people are surprised that there's "still" a Peace Corps? What can we do to ensure the support of the agency, and the volunteers in the field, as well as at home?
Third Goal opportunities are important. We also recognize that Advocacy in Washington D.C. is also critical. We work with the National Peace Corps Association (NPCA) to advocate on behalf of future, current and returned Peace Corps Volunteers, including support of legislation that:
- Maintains or increases funding for the Peace Corps program
- Protects the health and safety of currently serving volunteers
- Honors and supports those who have completed their Peace Corps service
This can take the form of phone calls, emails, and most effective -- showing up! We coordinate visits to our legislator's offices either here in Madison, or in Washington D.C. This is all through the support and direction of NPCA.
How can you get involved?
- Watch for action calls on our listserv or Facebook page.
- Use NPCA's Action Center to send a phone or text message to your Congressional Representatives about pressing issues
- Learn more about the Peace Corps community's current advocacy initiatives
- Check our calendar for upcoming advocacy events
Connect with our Advocacy Coordinator
There are two people who work together to coordinate Advocacy Actions in the greater Madison and south-central Wisconsin area. You may contact either to find out more about how you can help support Peace Corps-related legislation. See our page for Leadership Team - Advocacy Coordinators and contact by email to find out more. Get Involved.
What We Do
- Freeze for Food
- Support for Returning Volunteers
- Third Goal
- Philippines Microfinance
- Book Club
- 50th Anniversary 2011
- 60th Anniversary 2021