GATA: ARMENIAN PASTRY
Puff pastry: 1 sheet, defrosted and cut on the folds into 3 even pieces
Flour for rolling
1 stick of butter, room temp.
1 c sugar (or slightly less)
1 t vanilla
Pinch of salt
1½ c flour
1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
1. Mix the filling in a medium bowl until the texture is a soft crumble: cream the butter, stir in the sugar, add the vanilla and salt, and then add the flour. Set aside.
2. On a well-floured surface, roll a one–third piece of the puff pastry until it is a rectangle almost the size of the original whole sheet.
3. With the long side of the rolled pastry sheet closest to you, fill and fold the sheet as follows—until it is about 12 inches long and 2 inches wide:
a. Spoon 1/3 of the filling onto the center of the pastry, leaving about ½ inch clear all around. Very gently pat it down.
b. Fold the long side in toward the center to create a filled pastry “log”: gently fold about 1½ inches toward the center and gently pat to secure the filling. Fold again, and pat again. Repeat one or two more times, until the pastry is about 2 inches wide. Gently crimp the ends. Gently move this filled pastry “log” or “sleeve” to the baking sheet.
c. Repeat with the other two pieces, until you have 3 filled pastry logs/sleeves on the baking sheet.
4. Use a sharp knife to gently make diagonal cuts every ±2 inches; parallel diagonal slices yield parallelograms or alternate the direction to create trapezoids.
5. Brush with the beaten egg just before putting in the oven.
6. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 20 minutes or so, until golden.