1 cup brown lentils, washed and picked over
3 cups water
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup medium bulgur
Salt, freshly ground pepper
¾ cup olive oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
Garnishes: Scallion strips, chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, freshly ground pepper
INSTRUCTIONS (for fresh pears):
1. In a medium saucepan combine the lentils and 3 cups of water over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 10 minutes, until lentils are partially tender.
2. Add the cayenne pepper and the bulgur. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, about 20 minutes, until bulgur is just tender, and liquid has been absorbed.
3. Turn off the heat and let the pan stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté about 4 minutes. Stir into the cooked lentils and bulgur. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve with the garnishes.
Recipe from Cuisines of the Caucasus Mountains, by Kay Shaw Nelson