Sopa de Habas y Cebada: Barley & Fava Bean Soup
Wonderful served with arepas, which merges the chewy, rich corn flour biscuits with the liquid, legumes, grains, and vegetables in this soup.
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 scallions, chopped
½ green bell pepper, roughly chopped
¼ cup celery, roughly chopped
8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup fresh and peeled fava or lima beans
½ cup barley, soaked at least 1 hour, then dried
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup chickpeas, fresh/raw
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 ripe avocado, sliced
1. Place onion, garlic, scallions, bell pepper, and celery in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Pour broth into a large pot and add fava beans and barley. Bring to a boil then cook over medium high for 1 hour. Add water if needed.
3. Add blended mixture, carrots, potatoes, chickpeas, paprika, and cumin. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until vegetables and beans are tender.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with fresh cilantro and avocado slices.
Recipe from A Taste of Latin America, by Patricia Cartin
Colombia 2021 - Recipes
- Sopa de Habas y Cebada: Barley & Fava Bean Soup