4 large white boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped
water to cover potatoes
1 pound green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces, or 1 package (16 oz) frozen green beans
2½ tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 small Serrano chile pepper, minced or 1 jalapeno chile pepper, minced (wear plastic gloves when mincing)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 cans (15 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Injera or pita bread for serving
INSTRUCTIONS (for fresh pears):
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan over high heat and add just enough boiling water to cover. Cook for 12 minutes, or until tender.
2. Add the green beans to the saucepan. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes more. Drain the potatoes and beans in a colander and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and sauté for 7 minutes, or until slightly wilted. Add the garlic and pepper and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the spices: turmeric, cumin, and salt, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Add the tomatoes (with juice), potatoes, green beans, and the lime juice. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, to allow the flavors to blend.
Serve with injera or pita bread.
Recipe from The Ethnic Vegetarian, by Angel Shelf Medearis