3 quarts chicken stock or broth
1 pound of fresh spinach, finely chopped
3 onions, thinly slices
¾ cup yellow split peas
1 Tablespoon turmeric powder
2/3 cup rice flour
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 pounds of tangerines/mandarins: the juice of 4 plus the zest of 2
1 bunch flat parsley, finely chopped
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
2 cups plain yogurt, for topping
1. In advance, rinse the split peas and soak overnight in a large bowl of cold water.
2. Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large pot. Add the rinsed and drained split peas and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes. Add boiling water, if needed to return to the original level.
3. Sauté the onions with the butter in a frying pan until translucent. Add the turmeric and stir over low heat for a minute or so.
4. Mix the rice flour in ½ cup (150 ml) of cold water, then mix in the sautéed onions. Add this mixture immediately to the chicken broth, and stir.
5. Next add the chopped spinach and the parsley, half of the cilantro, plus the zest of 2 tangerines and the juice of 4 tangerines.
6. Cook for another 20 minutes on low heat, stirring regularly.
7. Divide into individual bowls, place a dollop of yogurt in the middle of each bowl, and sprinkle with cilantro. Enjoy!
Recipe from www.196flavors.com