1 cup water
1 cup milk or water
1¼ c white cornmeal
INSTRUCTIONS (for fresh pears):
1. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan.
2. Pour milk into a medium bowl. Slowly add ¾ cup of the cornmeal to the milk, stirring constantly until the mixture has a paste like consistency.
3. Carefully pour cornmeal mixture from the bowl into the boiling water, stirring to combine. Continue to stir, cooking for 4–5 minutes.
4. Add remaining ½ cup cornmeal, and stir until the porridge thickens and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
5. Use a rubber scraper to scrape porridge into a lightly greased serving bowl. When it’s cool enough to handle, use your hands to shape the porridge into a ball and place it in the center of the bowl.
Recipe from Cooking the South African Way, by Kari Cornell