Oil for deep frying
100 grams gram flour (whole wheat flour)
1 medium onion
3 medium potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 handful chopped coriander
2 teaspoons dried fenugreek leaves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon red chile powder
Can also use aubergines (eggplant) and cauliflower, chopped into very small pieces.
1. Heat up the oil in a karahi or wok to a medium heat.
2. Peel and grate (or very finely chop) the potatoes (and other vegetables, if using) into the same bowl, along with all the spices. Mix well with your hands and squeeze to release moisture. Add the graham flour, mixing in well.
3. Add a small amount of water a little at a time to create a thick batter that coats all the vegetables. Squeeze the mixture through your fingers to ensure all the spices mix through. Do not leave the batter and vegetable mixture for too long before cooking
4. Test that your oil is hot enough by dropping a little batter into the oil. If it browns and rises immediately then it is ready. Very carefully drop in spoonfuls of the mixture into the oil and fry until golden brown.
5. Using a slotted spoon move the pakora around, being careful not to overcrowd the karahi.
6. Once golden brown and crisp, remove from the oil and set on some kitchen paper.
From Food 52 website; recipe by Hari Ghotra: www.food52.com
Nepal 2021 - Recipes
- Vegetable Pakora