Papas A La Huancaina/Potatoes with Pepper Sauce
Papa a la Huancaína is dish of sliced potatoes covered in a spicy cheese sauce that is typically served cold, as a first course or luncheon dish. It's delicious made with yellow or white potatoes. If you prefer a spicier sauce, add an extra yellow chile pepper.
Serves 4 to 6
8 yellow or while potatoes
Huancaína sauce (see "related recipes")
2 hard-boiled eggs
8 large black olives, halved
1. Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling and add the potatoes.
2. Boil potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork.
3. Drain water from potatoes and let cool.
4. Slice potatoes and arrange on top of the lettuce leaves.
5. Pour Huancaína sauce over potatoes, and garnish with slices of hard-boiled egg and black olive halves.
Huancaína (wan-kay-eena) sauce is typically served over cold sliced potatoes in the famous Peruvian dish Papas a la Huancaína. But it is a versatile sauce that goes with many flavors. Serve it as a dipping sauce for bite-size boiled potatoes or raw vegetables. You can adjust the spiciness by using fewer or more yellow chile peppers. Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 yellow chile peppers (ajíes amarillos)
2 cloves garlic, mashed
2 cups white farmer's cheese (queso freso)
4 saltine crackers
3/4 cup evaporated milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove seeds from yellow chile peppers and chop into 1 inch pieces.
2. Sauté onion, garlic, and chile peppers in the oil until onion is softened, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Place onion/chile mixture in a food processor or blender. Add evaporated milk and blend.
4. Add cheese and crackers and blend until smooth. Sauce should be fairly thick. Thicken sauce with more saltines or thin sauce with milk if necessary.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Recipe from http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/saladssidedishes/r/huancaina.htm
Peru 2009 - Recipes
- Papas A La Huancaina/Potatoes with Pepper Sauce
- Frijal Colado/Sweet Black Bean Puree Desert
- Quinoa Vegetable Soup