3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3- to 4-pound whole chicken, cut into pieces
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 ribs celery, sliced
1 hot pimento or chile pepper, minced
1 cup chicken stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2–3 cups cooked rice for serving
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, and cook the chicken pieces for 4-5 minutes per side until golden in color. Transfer the chicken pieces from the pan onto a plate.
2. Return the pan to the heat and add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, or until softened and golden brown.
3. Return the chicken pieces to the pan and add the tomatoes, celery, salt and pepper to taste, and the minced chile.
4. Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30–40 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
5. Season to taste and serve with rice.
Recipe from Share, edited by Alison Oakervee