1 cup dried fava, kidney, or pinto beans
4 cups water
½ tsp salt
2 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. tahini, or 2 tbsp. sesame oil
1 or 2 eggs, hard-cooked and finely chopped, optional
¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled, optional
1 tomato, diced, optional
3–4 falafels, crumbled, optional
1 medium onion, finely chopped, optional
Pita Bread for serving
1. Soak the beans overnight in the water.
2. Add the salt and cook until the beans are soft. Reserve ½ cup water, and drain off the rest of the water. Return the water to the pan with the beans.
3. Stir in the cumin, salt, and tahini, or sesame oil.
4. Remove from heat and stir in any combination of the remaining ingredients, except pita bread, to your preference.
5. Stir lightly to mix. Put warm bean mixture in serving dish. Break off pieces of pita bread to dip into bean mixture, using bread as utensil.
Recipe from Extending the Table, by Joetta Handrich Schlabach