Classic Ukrainian Borsch
Serves 10 - 12
2 large or 3 medium beets, thoroughly washed
2 large or 3 medium potatoes, sliced into bite-sized pieces
4 tbsp. of cooking oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated
½ head cabbage, thinly chopped
1 can kidney beans with their juice
2 bay leaves
10 cups water
6 cups chicken broth
5 tbsp. ketchup
4 tbsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp. chopped dill
Sour cream and/or mayonnaise to taste for serving
1. Fill a large soup pot with 10 cups of water. Add 2–3 beets. Cover and boil for about 1 hour. Once you can smoothly pierce the beets with a butter knife, remove from the water and set aside to cool. Keep the water.
2. Slice 3 potatoes, add into the same water and boil 15–20 minutes.
3. Grate both carrots and dice one onion. Add 4 tbsp. of cooking oil to a skillet and sauté vegetables until they are soft (7–10 minutes). Stir in ketchup when they are almost done cooking.
4. Meanwhile, thinly shred half of a cabbage and add it to the soup pot when potatoes are half way done.
5. Next, peel and slice the beets into matchsticks and add them back to the pot.
6. Add 6 cups chicken broth, lemon juice, pepper, bay leaves and can of kidney beans (with their juice) to the pot.
7. Add sautéed carrots and onion to the pot along with the chopped dill.
8. Cook another 5–10 minutes, until the cabbage is done.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or mayonnaise.
Recipe from website: natashaskitchen.com
Ukraine 2018 - Recipes
- Classic Ukrainian Borsch