4–6 plantains, ripe but not past ripe, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
1–2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper or ½ teaspoon of red-pepper
½ teaspoon peeled grated fresh gingerroot
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water
Palm oil or vegetable oil to fry
1. Grind together grated ginger root, pepper, and salt and mix them in water
2. In a glass bowl toss together the plantain cubes and spice mixture
3. In a deep skillet, heat oil (just deep enough to allow plantains to float) to 350 degrees. Fry plantains, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. (Don’t fry them all at once; they should not touch each other while frying).
4. Drain on absorbent paper, keep in warmed oven until all the plantains are fried.
5. Serve kelewele immediately and enjoy!
This is often served with bean stew or rice dishes.
Nathaniel Kweku Simons in Food & Recipes (originally published by Elmotoo on food.com)