A refreshing drink made from the flowers of sorrel plant. It is ideal for drink ups, snacking, or anytime you feel like gulping down some chilled juice. Reported to have lot of health benefits, such as lowering high blood pressure and calming nerves.
1 bag dried sorrel
11 cups water
1 to 2 cups sugar (sweeten to taste)
2 medium sized fresh ginger crushed
½ cup lemon juice
1. Quickly wash sorrel to remove any old leaves but be fast before all the colour seeps out (that’s the main content of the drink).
2. Remove any other leaves that do not look like sorrel.
3. Place all ingredients except sugar in a tall pot. This is important as the mixture tends to froth and bubble up.
4. Boil for approximately 20 minutes or until the sepals looks whitish.
5. Turn off heat, cover and allow to steep for at least 5 hours, but overnight is preferred.
6. Strain the mixture and add sugar to taste.
7. Add ice cubes and start the fun!
NOTE: You can add more ginger and cloves for a more ‘spiced flavor,’ to your taste. If you want an alcoholic alternative, you can add some vodka to taste. Enjoy!!!