1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons cornmeal
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Sieve the flour in to a bowl and stir in the cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking powder.
2. Add the teaspoon of vanilla to the cup of water.
3. Add a small amount of water in to the mixture, work the water in to the mixture with your fingertips. Keep adding small amounts of water to the mixture, when half of the cup has been added the mixture should resemble breadcrumbs.
4. Keep adding water until the mixture becomes a firm dough which is only slightly sticky (you should not need to add the whole cup). If the mixture gets too sticky to work with, add more flour.
5. Cover the mixture and leave to stand for half an hour.
6. Divide the mixture in to eight portions. Knead each portion and roll it in to a small sausage shape.
7. Cover each festival in a mixture of flour and cornmeal.
8. Deep fry until golden brown - this should take about half an hour.
9. Serve with any Jamaican dish. Festival goes very well with Jerk dishes and spicy fish recipes where the sweet festivals provide a deliciously complimentary taste.