Tangine (national dish)/Meat and Vegetable Stew
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup carrots, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon each: ground allspice, ground ginger, and turmeric
1/4 teaspoon each: cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper
1 cup water
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1 1-pound can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup raisins
1 1-pound can chick peas, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups of cooked chick peas)
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2 Add onion and garlic.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
4. Add carrots, bell pepper, spices and 1/2 cup of the water.
5. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
6. Add all remaining ingredients.
7. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat, 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
8. Stir several times during cooking.
9. Serve over couscous, rice or any cooked grain.
Morocco 2009 - Recipes
- Tangine (national dish)/Meat and Vegetable Stew
- Mint Tea (national drink)
- Zaluk (eggplant) or Tktuka (pepper) salad