1 or 2 chickens
piece of pork
2 or more coconuts for cream
1. Wash and peel the vegetables and coarsely chop or break into serving size pieces.
2. Wash and clean greens. Coarsely chop if they are very large.
3. Chop the chicken and pork into large pieces.
4. Grate coconut.
5. Clean drum. If it has never been used for cooking before burn any possible residue.
6. Cover the bottom of the drum with rocks.
7. Place the banana leaves on top of the rocks.
8. Add root vegetables placing the longest cooking at the bottom.
9. Add pork pieces and then chicken pieces.
10. Place greens on top of the meat or vegetables.
11. Squeeze coconut cream over the food. Traditionally Highlanders don't use coconut cream but some of them living on the coast have developed a taste for coconut flavour. The more coconut cream you use the richer your food will be.
12. Cover all the food in the drum with banana leaves tucking the ends between the food and the side of the drum.
13. Place the drum on a grated over an open fire and cook for two or three hours.
14. Take the food out of the drum and serve on clean banana leaves. Separate the meat from the vegetables.
15. Eat with your hands.