2 c whole wheat flour
1 t margarine or butter, melted
Pinch of salt
½ c (or more) lukewarm water
1. Mix together ingredients and knead dough until soft.
2. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest 1 hour.
3. Divide dough into 10 pieces. On floured surface, roll each piece into a 4 inch circle, ¼ inch thick.
4. Heat heavy ungreased frying pan. Cook each chapatti until it starts to bubble on the bottom, turn and fry other side and remove.
5. Stack in a tea towel to keep warm.
- Substitute white flour for half of the whole wheat flour.
- After turning each chapati, rub with a few drops of margarine/butter or oil. When second side is finished, turn it over again and cook briefly on first side. Rub oil on second side and fry briefly.