whole chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
juice of one lemon (optional)
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional)
salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper or red pepper (to taste)
enough oil for frying (coconut oil if possible)
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 or 3 tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons ground ginger (or 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced)
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1. In a glass dish, marinate the chicken in the lemon juice, lemon rind, salt, and pepper for about an hour.
2. Heat oil in dutch oven or any large covered pot.
3. Sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes.
4. Add the chicken and continue to cook and stir until the chicken is nearly done. Reduce heat.
5. Add tomatoes and ginger and stir for a few minutes.
6. Add coconut milk and simmer over low heat until chicken is fully cooked and sauce is thickened. Stir often.
Serve with rice.